Monday, June 25, 2012

My Guaraldi dog-and-pony show

A short entry today, mostly for the benefit of fans living in and around San Francisco's greater bay area.


I'm giving a presentation about Vince Guaraldi at 3 p.m. this Friday, June 29, at the Charles M. Schulz Museum, 2301 Hardies Lane, Santa Rosa, California. For additional information, call the Museum at (707) 579-4452.


I plan to read a short excerpt from my book and then briefly take the audience through some of the high points in Guaraldi's life and career, accompanied by a multi-media presentation that will include photographs and a few short video clips. The latter should be regarded as strong incentive to join us, because they'll be things almost nobody has seen. Fans have been long aware of the two Jazz Casual episodes Guaraldi starred in, back in the early 1960s, along with the 90-minute film Anatomy of a Hit, all made by his good friend Ralph Gleason. Indeed, many people believe that these three KQED Channel 9 productions are the extent of Guaraldi's appearances on TV or film.


Not so ... and I'll have four clips to share, from sources most folks aren't even aware exist. And no, I'll not spoil the surprise by identifying them here.


If you're in the area, then, and not otherwise occupied this Friday afternoon, take a trip to Santa Rosa. I've also invited all of Guaraldi's former sidemen who are known to still live in the area, along with other of his former associates. I've no idea how many or few will accept that invitation, but the possibility of "special guests" exists.


And if all this isn't reason enough to drop by, consider the broader smile on my face, if I know that at least a few avid Guaraldi fans will be present.

No comments: